There has been a lot of questions here and on other forums/social media about the monetization in BattleSouls, so I wanted to talk a little bit about that.
First off, let me say that this is not pay to win. Anything that effects gameplay is free, you don't even have to grind to get it.
Some of the thoughts that we went through when making BattleSouls was obviously how we were going to make enough money to keep supporting the game.
First we thought about going premium, but decided against it because we felt it was more important to have a lot of people on the servers rather than making some money up front.
That left us with the free to play model, that we think can work really well if it is done right.
The most important thing to us was that the game must never become a pay to win game, we hate that in other games and we didn't want it for BattleSouls.
So we decided pretty early on that the heroes should be free for everyone, also because they are really core to the gameplay of mix and matching your loadout, they should not be hidden behind a paywall.
The things you can buy in BattleSouls all has to do with cosmetics and adding flavor to your experience. It is not all in there yet, but I can tell you what we have planned:
- They are shown in the menu, on the ingame scoreboard and as an extra thing, when you kill someone your portrait will show up in the middle of their screen together with your nickname.
- Make your character Dance, Wave or Threaten the other players
- When you kill someone, instead of their body just lying on the ground till they respawn, they will be turned in to something else. One of the effects is turning people in to a cake
- Pets are little fun creatures that follow you around. They don't help you fight, but they will celebrate and be happy when you do well and they will be sad when you don't do so well. They have all kinds of emotes and will also dance at the same time as you and so on.
- A classic that gives you double XP points for playing matches. Right now the only thing XP does is unlock cool frames to put around your portrait picture.
I hope that gives a little bit clearer sense of how the monetization is going to work in BattleSouls. If you have any comments or concerns, please let me know